#1 Cinema Makeup Pro from Hong Kong

9/10/1989

First time to collaborate with a Hong Kong professional makeup artist for an Italian commercial champaign of a western formal wear company. Exclusively initial appearance only in Italy!


Client asked what I need for this photo shoot they get it for me, by all means. I (1) wanted a spacious studio, (2) needed some striking models, of course, (3) hoped to have good hands of makeup/stylist and (4) named an American professional slide film. Studio space was easy, they had one. They could not find the particular film I assigned within the country. Followed my instructions, they finally had had to order it from other country and had fetched it by the overnight international delivery. And would have to deliver them internationally back to only a handful certified color labs around the world, at the end of each shooting session.

First day of shooting. I was running between the floors for the preparations. While its huge showroom was on the first floor, that was where we got all the costumes from. Makeup room was located on the second floor, where to check in on all the models. Hairstyling chamber was hidden in a corner on the third floor, where they permed or straightened my models. And, studio was on the fifth floor. I SHOULD DEMAND A RAISE! I had not actually met my makeup guy yet. "She is not only a cinema makeup artist, but a number one cinema makeup artist in Hong Kong." Oh, the top hand was a female! That was what I heard from the fussing chatty staff when I was hurrying up and down the stairs or elevators.

To my surprise, the big and tall with short black curly haired makeup artist showed up with embarrassedly apology for her sloppy outfits, which I did not mind at all as a Californian casual style self. Hey, easy up, lady! we were here to work, not for a black-tie party! In fact, her pregnant bulging tummy under the worn out T-shirt grabbed my attention most. That was all.

I was worried at the first run of checking my models early morning that day. One girl was plainly looking. Another one was simply kind of homely. A handsome male model was lacking the radiant attractive charms. My ominous feeling was only dispelled by the time reaching the final stages of makeups. Our Hong Kong top makeup lady was truly worth every penny my client spend.

The last shooting session day. "What will you usually dress for work if you were not pregnant?" I asked the makeup lady. She replied "Same, for more than some 10 years!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog